Hometown Connections staff and vendor partners deliver educational presentations at public power events across the U.S., focusing on best practices for public power utility management. To meet the growing demand for expert advice on cybersecurity, Hometown partners are addressing the topic through a variety of technical and financial presentations designed for public power state/regional associations and joint action agencies.
Cybersecurity Presentations by Hometown Connections Partners
Hometown Connections partners N-Dimension Solutions & Wortham Power Gen Insurance offer resources to reduce the chances of a cyber breach at a public power utility. N-Dimension provides continuous monitoring of live network traffic and alerts the utility of suspicious behavior/patterns. Wortham is offering a Cyber Risk Evaluation Tool–a brief survey and follow-up report provided free of charge to APPA members. Together or separately, officials from these two companies can deliver a broad array of cybersecurity presentations.
N-Dimension Solutions/Advisory Board Member Jeff Bridgland, a public power veteran with more than 30 years’ experience in information and communications technology, the last 17 of which were with Piedmont Municipal Power Agency:
- Cybersecurity for Microgrids, SCADA, and Other Utility Networks—discussion of cybersecurity challenges and cyber risk management strategies for public power utilities
- Understanding Information & Communication Technology’s Strategic Nature in Public Utilities, focused on best practices for public power utility management
- Utility Cybersecurity in the Age of IoT– Cybersecurity for the modern public utility has vastly changed in the past decade. In this presentation we will discuss current trends in attack vectors and vulnerabilities and potential risks. A well-protected utility requires a layered approach to cybersecurity and we will provide an overview of how these solutions work together to protect both utility operations and the corporate network.
- Protecting Your Utility from Cyber Threats– Public power utilities take pride in delivering safe, reliable, affordable electric service within their community yet a cyber attack could have devastating effects such as causing power outages; damaging utility assets; loss of confidential customer and utility data. Such an attack can have broad reaching ramifications in addition including putting power worker and community safety at risk; risking the utility’s and management and board of directors’ reputation; and financial risk.
- How to properly assess your utility’s cyber risk and security plans
- How cyber and physical security risks and solutions are merging
- Best practices in building a multi-layered cybersecurity defense to protect utility IT and OT networks and devices
- Adding Liability Insurance Coverage to the Utility Cybersecurity Arsenal—Effective cybersecurity preparation requires more than creating barriers for those trying to access utility data. The determination and skill of today’s cyber criminals require each utility to prepare for the financial and reputational harm caused by unauthorized access to customer and employee records. This webinar reviews how new approaches to liability insurance coverage are bolstering public power’s cyber security arsenal. Speakers will review such issues as which exposures are not covered by existing property & casualty policies and how new policies can cover expenses associated with data breach notification costs, credit monitoring, legal fees, fines & penalties, data recovery, funds transfer loss, cyber extortion, and professional services for data breach crisis management. Speakers will explain the information needed to obtain quotes for cyber liability insurance coverage and offer benchmarking on limits, deductibles, and premium costs
- Cyber Breach Risk Reduction for Public Power: How Do I Start and Where is My Money Best Spent:Mitigating 100% of Cyber Risk is expensive and nearly impossible to accomplish. This presentation will outline cost-effective actions/services to protect your utility from 80% of breach attempts, supplemented with balance sheet protection for the remaining 20% of risk. Speakers will grant access to an easy-to-use Cyber Risk Evaluation Tool, display real time breach activity, and discuss actual Public Power Cyber Breach situations.
- Understanding Terrorism Insurance –Options & Who’s Buying
- Asset Valuation for Property insurance
- Understanding Environmental Liability Insurance, Options and Exposures
- Understanding Public Officials Insurance, Protect those Board Members
- Smart Meter Patent Infringement Demands, Increasing Numbers – Available Protection
- Cybersecurity: Is my company protected from common risks
- Cybersecurity: What is my organizational risk
- Cybersecurity: Key protections for my organization
To invite officials from N-Dimension and/or Wortham Power Gen Insurance to deliver presentations at your public power event, or for more information, please contact:
Head of Marketing
Wortham Power Gen Insurance
George Z. Adkins
Managing Director & Power Generation Practice Leader
Wortham L.L.C. , General Partner
John L. Wortham & Son, L.P.