Wortham Power Gen Insurance
Wortham Power Gen Insurance Property & Cyber Liability
Developed by Hometown Connections and Wortham Power Gen Insurance, the Public Power Cyber Liability & Privacy Insurance Program offers APPA members access to innovative risk assurance options and savings. APPA members may purchase data breach protection coverage designed specifically for public power utilities. The Assurance for Regulated Utilities (ARGUS) property insurance program serves APPA members that own and insure greater than 20MW of generation assets. Through the cyber liability and property insurance programs, APPA members are securing group purchasing premiums that are averaging 20 to 40% lower in the first year than those available to utilities purchasing individually.
Since 1915, Wortham has managed its clients’ insurance needs with a comprehensive portfolio of services, including insurance brokerage, risk management and employee benefits consulting. As one of the largest privately held insurance firms in the U.S., the Wortham team of more than 500 insurance professionals has placed more than $1.4 billion in premiums through 300+ insurance companies worldwide. Wortham experts create the right insurance solutions for unique business requirements and deliver strategic risk management services and resources critical to business success.
Products & Services
ARGUS Property Insurance
Wortham Power Gen’s ARGUS program currently serves 16 APPA members in California, Washington, Minnesota, Texas, North Carolina, Massachusetts, Vermont, Connecticut, and Wisconsin. Program highlights include:
- Designed for Power Generators, the policy is an “All-Risk” format covering such perils as fire, flood, severe weather, terrorism, and mechanical/electrical failures.
- The policy pays for replacement cost, rather than depreciated value.
- There is no sharing of policy limits or deductibles, and the policies are non-assessable.
- The program is underwritten by a panel of “A”-rated insurance companies in London, Europe, and the U.S.A, reducing the risk of single carrier financial issues.
- A claims specialist is available to assist APPA members in the preparation of documents, quantification of the claim, and claim submission to underwriters.
- An asset appraisal service can be included (some restrictions apply).
- APPA members interested in the ARGUS property insurance program should complete the ARGUS Property Application or e-mail WorthamPower Gen at email@example.com.
- Wortham Power Gen Insurance will provide a side-by-side comparison of the ARGUS Program and the utility’s or joint action agency’s present insurance program.
- ARGUS complements the Cyber Liability Insurance Program offered by Wortham Power Gen and N-Dimension Solutions and the free Cyber Risk Evaluation Tool offered by Wortham Power Gen and ITEGRITI.
- All Wortham Power Gen Insurance programs take advantage of the APPA membership’s group purchasing power to negotiate better insurance pricing, terms, and conditions.
- Please complete this survey to help determine where the APPA/Hometown Connections insurance programs should focus next.
Cyber Liability Insurance
Wortham’s approach to the Cyber Liability program has been to first determine those cyber security exposures already transferred through existing Property & Casualty insurance as well as possible Tort immunity protections. The design of the Public Power Cyber Liability & Privacy Insurance Program is based on the remaining cyber security exposures, thereby avoiding duplication and reducing costs.
Specifically, the Public Power Cyber Liability & Privacy Insurance Program covers:
- Liability from a data breach in which customers’ or employees’/retirees personal information [e.g., Social Security, Medical Information or credit card numbers] are exposed or stolen;
- Expenses associated with a data breach including notification costs, credit monitoring, and legal costs;
- Costs associated with Regulatory Fines & Penalties (HIPPA, NERC, FERC, Payment Cards, etc.);
- Liability arising from erroneous website media content, as well as costs associated with data recovery, computer fraud, funds transfer loss, and cyber extortion; and
- Emergency access to professional services to handle data breach crisis management and limit reputational harm.
A single-page form makes the utility’s application process quick and easy.
Savings via Joint Action Agency/State Association
APPA utility members may access greater savings through an aggregated insurance purchase organized by their joint action agency or state association.
Savings via Bundling with Cybersecurity Monitoring & Vulnerability Assessment Services
APPA members may reduce costs by bundling the cyber liability policies brokered by Wortham with the monitoring and vulnerability assessment services from Hometown’s cybersecurity partner N-Dimension Solutions.
Public Power Utility Expertise
Wortham’s Power Generation Team specializes in placing insurance for public/regulated utilities. Wortham’s opinion is that when purchasing insurance, public power utilities are incorrectly underwritten within the general “Power Generation” class rather than as municipally operated “Regulated Utilities”. As a result public power utilities do not always receive the benefit of their superior risk profile, namely better trained/more experienced operators, richer maintenance programs, and tort immunities. The mission of the Wortham Power Gen Insurance team is to reduce costs significantly by advocating that APPA members possess these traits and by leveraging the combined national purchasing power of the membership. APPA utility members may also access additional savings through an aggregated insurance purchase organized by their joint action agency or state association.
Free Cyber Risk Evaluation Tool Available to Public Power
To enhance their Public Power Cyber Liability & Privacy Insurance Program, Hometown Connections and Wortham Power Gen Insurance announced the availability of a Cyber Risk Evaluation Tool. This survey and follow-up report are offered at no cost to members of the American Public Power Association (APPA).
Wortham Power Gen Insurance has partnered with ITEGRITI to develop a 12-area check box survey that is based on the fundamental set of cybersecurity controls that help mitigate approximately 80% of cyber risks. These questions are typically used to prepare for and scope a cybersecurity review. Respondents should be able to complete the survey in less than 20 minutes. Responses are intended to provide a general cybersecurity profile that should be validated through actual program and control inspection. For more information on the Cyber Risk Evaluation Tool for Public Power, click HERE. Or contact George Adkins, Wortham Power Gen Insurance (firstname.lastname@example.org).