Strategic Planning Services
With a vast number of changes, challenges and choices facing public power utilities today, it has never been more important for utility leaders to do three things:
- Define a compelling purpose for their organization.
- Identify the most important strategies for success.
- Unleash the talent of their team to execute on those priorities.
These are the essential outcomes of effective strategic planning.
Hometown Connections has vast experience developing strategic plans specifically for public power utilities. We have a work plan that guides utilities from brainstorming to decision making that will benefit utilities of all sizes. The major steps include:
- Brainstorm: Utility staff brainstorms potential goals and strategies.
- Rank: Governing board members and utility staff rank potential goals and strategies.
- Shortlist: Utility staff creates a PowerPoint for the planning workshop with information and a shortlist of key strategies to achieve goals.
- Decide: With input from utility staff, the governing board meets to decide on its plan.
Utilities that utilize this process report the preliminary work ahead of the workshop is exceptional. The effort involves people throughout the organization and creates valuable input leading into the workshop.
As a result, utilities go into the workshop with well-developed goals and strategies that can be fine-tuned rather than created from scratch, making for an efficient and effective decision-making process.
For more information about how strategic planning can provide focus for your organization, click on the “Request Consultation” link at the top of this page.