Advanced Metering Infrastructure
AMI for Public Utilities
Better manage outages, service calls, distribution system maintenance, and the customer experience with Advanced Metering Infrastructure solutions from Hometown Connections.
AMI doesn’t have to be costly and complex. Hometown Connections offers a scalable, lower risk, and cost-effective AMI pathway to make it accessible to all community-owned utilities by deploying best-of-breed infrastructure (meters, wireless communications, applications, systems integrations) through a turnkey managed service.
Benefits of Advanced Metering Infrastructure
The solution from Hometown Connections enables community-owned utilities of all sizes to secure the many benefits of AMI.
- Reduce costs and improve efficiency by automating meter reads, service connects and disconnects
- Increase accuracy of meter reads and billing data, using smart meters and software to capture lost sales revenue
- Eliminate misreads from hard-to-access customer locations
- Remote monitoring of the status of meters, transponders, switches, and other equipment across the distribution system
- Provide early identification of leaks and meter tampering/theft
Communication and Customer Service
- Give customer service representatives on-screen access to detailed usage data to resolve complaints more quickly
- Improve communication between utilities and customers through automated inbound and outbound messaging, as well as web portal access to system data
- Provide pay-as-you-go options to customers
- Provides smart city options such as smart lighting, microgeneration, electric vehicles, voltage control, and transformer load and health monitoring
The Hometown Connections AMI solution adheres to the requirements of a smart grid future.
Hometown’s AMI solution focuses on open standards, incorporating technology with over 27 million endpoints deployed.
Industry leading authentication, authorization, and accountability through the assignment of unique AES-256 encrypted security keys to each and every Wide Area Network or Field Area Network element, and the ability to rapidly identify, isolate, and change network security keys to network elements if any compromise is suspected
Hometown’s AMI solution features commercially proven capabilities of over-the-air firmware upgrades to all metering end points.
The distributed architecture can support millions of network elements. Additional network infrastructure can be added easily to increase the net effective bandwidth of the network in a given area. If certain service delivery points require greater bandwidth, they can be selectively changed with minimum reconfiguration effort and minimal impact on overall network operation.
Components are utility-grade, proven to endure for years in extreme utility environments and weather conditions. The AMI mesh network is self-configuring and self-healing, so no single element failure can bring down the entire system.
Your Partner for Advanced Metering Infrastructure
Advanced Metering Solutions News
Submit request for RFP documents.
Benton County Electric System takes advantage of AMI benefits.