Our Partner for Public Power Financial Analysis
Cost of service study, rate design, and financial planning for utilities.
Community-owned utilities that engage Utility Financial Solutions for cost-of-service and other financial research obtain expert guidance for addressing many baseline issues for utility management.
- Developing a strategic rate plan to meet long-term utility goals and properly recover costs
- Identifying rate options for utilities with and without AMI
- Using valuation and billing methodologies for rooftop solar customers and battery storage
- Setting appropriate rate structures and strategies for electric vehicle charging stations
- Evaluating customer and demand charges, time of use rates, real-time pricing, coincident peak demand rates, identifying marginal costs, and setting a proper price signal
- Ability to set special rates for economic development, rates for large customers, standby rates, rate structures to promote electric vehicles, etc.
- Understanding power cost adjustment mechanisms
- Developing standby rates for customers installing combined heat and power generators
- Educating staff, management, governing bodies, and customers about long-term rate strategies
- Understanding utility rate trends based on public power case studies
Utility Financial Solutions provides professional services to public utilities that provide multiple services, including electric, gas, water, wastewater, and telecommunications. UFS works with utility officials to justify changes in revenue requirements for ensuring long-term financial stability.
- Cost of Service
- Rate Design
- Financial Planning
- Long Term Financial Projection
- Long Term Rate Tracking
- Time of Use Rate Structures
- Time of Use and Dynamic Pricing
- Cash Reserve Policies
- Line Extension Policies
- Update fees
- Financial Feasibility Studies
- Valuation Services
- Econometric Modeling Development
- Training Services
Utility Financial Solutions is a recognized leader in the utility field and its team members are regular instructors for the American Public Power Association and other professional organizations. They teach a wide variety of courses and webinars.
- Basic Cost of Service & Retail Rate Design
- Intermediate Cost of Service & Retail Rate Design
- Advanced Cost of Service & Retail Rate Design
- The Potential Impact of Smart Grid on Customer’s Rate Structures
- Understanding New Approaches to Retail Rate Designs
- Industry Rate Trends and Future Rate Structures
- Utility Ratemaking for Boards & Councils
- Overview of Utility Financial Operations for Boards & Councils
- Financial Planning for Municipal Utilities
- Coping with Financial Challenges During Periods of Declining Sales
- Rate Structures to Create Revenue Stability During Tough Economic Times
- Line Extension Policies (Contributions in Aid of Construction)
- Developing Cash Reserve Policies
- Maintaining or Improving Utility Bond Ratings
- Determining Utility Revenue Requirements
- Electric Vehicle Charging Stations
Cost of Service Research News
UFS explains how electrification can improve utility margins and lower customer costs.
Utility Financial Solutions LLC explains how to structure utility financial plans after the pandemic.