Your Partner for Organizational Transformation
The Hometown Connections consulting team helps public utilities address today’s business management challenges and provides a flexible yet detailed framework for making decisions that will secure the long-term success of the organization to the benefit of the local community.
Hometown’s consulting services are scalable based on the size and objectives of the joint action agency, state association, or public utility. We offer our services through on-site facilitation or in virtual meeting environment, depending on the requirements of the organization.
With more than 20 years of experience working with hundreds of public utilities, Hometown Connections management consultants know how to focus quickly on the challenges you are facing and provide the information, training, policies, and procedures you need to chart your organization’s course to a long and sustainable future.
Hometown Connections guides community-owned utilities through the change process, focusing on strategic planning, managing risk, excellence in customer service, and leadership development.
Hometown’s consultants help public utilities address today’s business management challenges and advance towards a successful future.
The Hometown Connections proven strategic planning process applies to utilities of all sizes and services.
- Develops a practical, step-by-step blueprint for adapting to specific market conditions, regulatory changes, and the evolving expectations of customers
- May update existing strategic plans
- Benefits from an efficient and time-saving process that places a premium on simplicity, flexibility and logic
- Avoids the complexity and rigidity of other approaches that can grind a strategic planning effort to a halt
Hometown Connections reviews industry changes and public power utilities response to the challenges presented. All levels of leaderships, to include governing boards, gain a strong appreciation for the critical role of effective governance in the face of these changes.
- Legislative and legal
- Customer changes
- Workforce changes
- How public power utilities are responding to these changes
- The role of governing boards
- The need for community engagement
- The importance of Strategic Planning
Hometown Connections reviews metrics and qualitative data to identify and share with stakeholders the value municipal utilities provide to their local community and customers.
- Why is it important to understand the value of your public utility?
- Approach to identifying and tracking metrics
- Qualitative data related to the value of public power
- Challenges and opportunities to collect the data
- Telling your story
Hometown’s consultants help public utilities apply risk management principles to maximize performance and productivity.
A business readiness risk assessment can prepare you for what’s ahead and help you assess your current business maturity in all areas of your operation. Whether you are in the aftermath of a business disruption or planning for future technology, you will want to understand the potential risks and gaps in your current business model. We can help you by:
- Performing an organizational risk assessment or function specific risk assessment to identify and help prioritize risks, gaps and opportunities.
- We can also provide the help you need to mitigate risks, streamline processes or redesign business practices in all areas of operations to include finance, customer service, support services, compliance, internal controls, project management, program management, training, safety, prioritization, strategic planning, governance, IT processes, information protection and safety, purchasing, vendor management, leadership, employee development and culture transformation.
Hometown’s expert helps utilities apply for designation by the American Public Power Association’s Reliable Public Power Provider (RP3) program. The program is based on best practices in four important disciplines:
- Workforce Development
- System Improvement
Hometown Connections evaluates a utility’s RP3 readiness and reviews the application, sharing
lessons learned, tips and insights to conduct a review of your distribution system and how to collect the data to successfully complete the RP3 process and obtain such an important designation for your utility.
Hometown Connections gives governing officials and employees of community-owned utilities vital information on creating a culture of customer service excellence across the enterprise.
Hometown Connections organizes its customer service consulting and education services around these core areas.
- What is good customer service?
- How to segment customers into categories and identify their specific requirements
- Changing demographics of utility workforce and customers
- Utility customer expectations – today and tomorrow
- The seven hallmarks of utility customer service
- Building customer service around your customers
- Operating with the customer’s needs in mind when building policies and operations
- How to create a culture of customer service
- Identifying and finding the right information to provide the most efficient and effective customer service can be a challenge. Understanding how to protect customers privacy while using their information presents additional concerns. In today’s digital world, providing the right information, at the right time, can set the tone for how customers feel about their experience with your organization.Working on the front lines, you are the voice of the customer and have unique insight into what they need and how quickly. Hometown Connections will help you understand the key elements of an information governance program and learn how to:
- Assess your customer information maturity
- Identify and classify customer information for the best customer experience
- Understand the difference between information and data
- Protect customer privacy
- Work with information technology teams to build an Information Governance Program
Leadership & Employee Development
To maximize the performance of utility personnel, Hometown Connections consultants offer leadership training and employee development services.
Leading from where you are is the focus of our development and enhancement programs. Whether you need one-on-one assistance at any level, or tools to bring teams together, we can help with non-positional leadership, emerging leaders, leadership enhancement, and executive leadership.
- Accountability and Personal Responsibility
- Communication Techniques
- Conflict and Negotiation
- Organizational Agility
- Team Building
- Relationship Building
- Making Employees #1
- Problem Solving
With continuous change in our industry, there’s a lot for everyone to do, and success depends on each member of the team working together like a well-oiled machine. Sometimes personality differences and interpersonal dynamics can derail projects and productivity. With Totally Responsible Person® (TRP®) training from Hometown Connections, each of your team members will learn to stay positive, productive, and effective, no matter the circumstances.
Hometown Connections provides TRP training to utility employees at all levels of the organization in virtual and in-person formats.
Who Should Take TRP Training
Individual contributors, supervisors, managers and executives
- Distinguish between the Totally Responsible Person and “victim mentality”
- Apply TRP to manage challenging workplace situations
- Give and receive constructive feedback with confidence
- Stop workplace gossip and criticism and communicate effectively
- Identify productive alternatives to enabling and rescuing in the workplace
- Create a personal action plan to apply the TRP principles at work
Bottom Line Results
- Greater self-awareness and leadership capability
- Greater influence and accountability
- Development of your people
- Improved communication, feedback
- Better work relationships
- Improved teamwork and creativity
- Increased innovation and problem-solving
- Increased productivity and respect
- Decreased stress and conflict
- Greater enjoyment of work and life!
The TRP workshop will help everyone on your staff achieve a greater self-awareness, a feeling of personal accountability, and an understanding of the necessity to provide honest, candid feedback to others. To discuss how TRP training can revolutionize the way your people work together, contact:
Charise M. Swanson
Vice President, Client Services
Hometown Connections, Inc.
m – 719 439 8811
Organizational Modernization News
Handbook written by Hometown Connections explains governance duties and strategies for effective oversight of community-owned utilities.
Use Totally Responsible Person training to promote problem solving, teamwork & accountability
SAGE Development Authority Seeking Crowdfunding for New 235-Megawatt Wind Farm to Benefit the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe
Hometown Connections provided strategic planning services for SAGE’s renewable energy program.