Your Partner for Organizational Modernization
The Hometown Connections proven strategic planning process applies to utilities of all sizes and services.
- Develops a practical, step-by-step blueprint for adapting to specific market conditions, regulatory changes, and the evolving expectations of customers
- May update existing strategic plans
- Benefits from an efficient and time-saving process that places a premium on simplicity, flexibility and logic
- Avoids the complexity and rigidity of other approaches that can grind a strategic planning effort to a halt
The Hometown Connections Leadership Workshop for Staff helps each participant improve their productivity and growth potential.
- Identify strengths and when they are their most productive-self
- Identify interests, determine what they enjoy doing, and how this may impact the workplace
- Understand their expectations of others and what happens when expectations are not met
- Understand their stress behaviors and how these may be impacting their leadership efforts
The Hometown Connections operational Check Up services provide an independent review and practical guidance for performance improvement.
- Snapshots of utility performance
- Expert evaluation of vital areas by a neutral 3rd party
- Time- and cost-efficient approach to performance assessment
- Clarity, direction, and blueprints for improvement
Based on 20+ years of working with hundreds of public power systems, Hometown Connections guides community-owned utilities through the change process.
Strategic Planning, Facilitation
The Hometown Connections strategic planning process works for municipal utilities offering a variety of services, including electric, gas, water, wastewater, and high-speed data/CATV. This strategic planning process unites the leadership and staff on the best path forward.
Through onsite facilitation, workshops, and follow-up consultations, Hometown Connections covers the principles of effective strategic planning and reviews the roles and responsibilities of the staff and governing board in the planning and implementation process.
Hometown helps develop a step-by-step blueprint for adapting to market conditions, workforce issues, regulatory changes, and the complex expectations of customers. This popular and proven method drives sustainable transformational results and helps the utility understand how to modernize for the digital age.
Leadership Workshop for Staff
Because every employee’s leadership style impacts the organization, today’s best leadership training addresses every individual regardless of their job title or the number of direct reports. Hometown Connections offers a unique, proven, and easy-to-complete process that identifies each person’s strengths, interests, motivators, and most productive work style.
Hometown Connections arranges for participants in this leadership workshop to take the online Birkman Method personality assessment. The instructor reviews aggregate results of the Birkman assessment, shares individual Birkman results confidentially, and helps participants:
- Understand their leadership style
- See how it manifests at the workplace
- Recognize how they impact the culture of the utility
- Complete an individual leadership development action plan, based on their individual assessment results
Check Ups to Assess Utility Performance
Hometown Connections staff and partners offer “Check Ups” in seven operational areas to provide snapshots of utility performance and expert assessments of vital areas by a neutral third party.
- An organization-wide assessment of all aspects of utility operations, including customer service, power supply, finance, HR, administrative and governance.
- Two-day checkup explores the effectiveness of current practices and how well organizational functions integrate into a seamless whole.
- Lays the foundation for strategic planning by taking a detailed snapshot of current conditions
- Looks at structure, staffing levels and skill sets, processes and procedures, technology, and performance metrics as a starting point to understand the current situation and create a baseline for future success.
- One-day checkup works with the governing board and senior staff to assess the effectiveness of policymaking, strategic focus, communications, and prudent oversight of utility operations.
- Roles of Board versus Manager
- Level of Community Engagement
- Monitoring and Reporting Procedures
- Strategic planning status
- One-day checkup explores the many different customer interfaces and reviews the organization’s efforts at delivering excellent customer service.
- One-day check up by Utility Financial Solutions, LLC, zeroes in on the most significant barometers of fiscal health and how they compare to the industry.
- Guidance/tools to examine and document elements of maintaining a safe, reliable, and efficient electric distribution system.
- Topics include system design and maintenance, deploying new technologies, tree trimming, safety & environment regulations, and budgets.
- Cybersecurity Check Up by AESI-US, Inc. is ideal for utilities requiring a starting point for a cybersecurity program or a quick health check of an existing program.
- AESI conducts a survey-based assessment:
- review of the representative set of existing cybersecurity-related policies, standards, and procedures
- remote testing of high-risk web applications.
- Help applying for designation by the American Public Power Association’s Reliable Public Power Provider program
- RP3 program is based on best practices in four important disciplines:
- Workforce Development
- System Improvement
- Hometown Connections evaluates a utility’s RP3 readiness and reviews the application
Organizational Modernization News
Profiles of three public power strategic planning efforts facilitated by Hometown Connections.
Join us in welcoming Hometown's new vice president of consulting & training.
Public power utilities may apply online for designation by the American Public Power Association.